5 Reasons I Smile

The ultimate goal of this blog is to spread awareness and show how beautiful life can be. We have four amazing daughters. Our youngest was born with Down syndrome. If just one person stops here and leaves with a different, better perspective about Down syndrome, then it is worth it. Regardless, I have 5 Reasons to Smile!



Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tiger MOM

I have not read this memoir, I repeat I have not read this book. However, I have heard there is quite a buzz about it.

I like the title.

I think my energy is more of a match to a Tiger Mom, than a Mama Bear.

I will fiercely protect my girls.

I love them fiercely.

I can cuddle and play and I can be tough too.


My oldest is 9 (about to be 10). I had to remind her the other day that I have never raised a 9 year old before. I am new to this...

Last week she handed me a paper she was working on for school. First, I told her she was off to a great start. Then, I pointed out some areas where she needed to be more descriptive and I corrected her grammar and spelling. While giving her my "constructive criticism" I could feel her puffing up, getting angry and although I did not see it for myself, I am sure she was rolling her eyes.

"SO, you don't like my paper?" she says in a sassy tone. (We have had a few talks about this tone).

"Jaden, I didn't say that. I think your off to a great start, but you need to spend more time on it."

"I did spend time on it. I am done with it and I think it is good!"

"I think you need to work on it some more and I am happy to help you." (I really have to focus on not being sassy back) :)

She is really huffing and puffing now. "I don't want to work on it anymore. I like it the way it is."

"OK, here is the deal. I expect you to get an A, because you are an excellent writer. If you think this paper is an A, then you can be done. If you don't get an A, there will be a consequence."

"What will the consequence be?"

"I don't know yet, but if you don't get an A there will be one."

"OK."

She didn't get an A. Most of the comments from her teacher were very close to the comments her mom had given her. (I didn't even say "I told you so!")

This Tiger MOM informed her that even though the grade had been given and the teacher would not change it, she had her re-write the paper.

She did.

It was an A in my grade book. :)


She is about to be 10. I have never raised a 10 year old before!

I can't believe I have been a mom for almost a decade. It is the most amazing, beautiful journey...

She ROCKS! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment